Oily skin can be so frustrating but with our tips, together we will get it under control!
1. You should only wash your face twice a day. I get it, your skin feels oily, and washing away the excess oil seems like a good solution. Unfortunately, over-cleansing can strip the oil from your skin and send a message to your skin to produce more oil.
2. Use blotting papers to absorb excess oil.
3. Do not skip the moisturizer. It is key to controlling oil production. Because your skin is oily, you believe that adding more moisture will make your skin greasy, but that is incorrect. Using a moisturizer containing light oils such as hempseed and grapeseed oils can help regulate how much oil your skin produces and prevent over-production.
4. Drink plenty of water. Oily skin will benefit from the overall cleansing effects of proper hydration. It is very important to stay hydrated. A good rule of thumb is to take your body weight, divide it by 2 and that’s how many ounces of non-caffeinated beverages you should drink daily.
5. Do not over exfoliate. You should not exfoliate more than once a week. Aggressive exfoliation will damage your skin and lead to your skin producing excess oil in order to protect itself.
6. Use a clay-based face mask to help reduce the buildup of dirt and oils on your face.
7. Avoid dairy. The hormones in dairy such as milk, butter and cheese may throw your own hormones off balance. This could lead to increased oil production and blocked pores which can trigger acne.
8. Eat a diet rich in zinc, vitamins A, C and E, omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants. Some good food choices would be dark green leafy vegetables, sweet potatoes, whole grains oranges and nuts.